Friday, August 29, 2008

Panic Attacks and Serotonin II

Here's an interesting fact I found after I did lots of research on Serotonin:

  • Bananas and Turkey have certain proteins that creates Serotonin.
  • Loads of Carbohydrates (like sugar) helps to release Serotonin.

Yes, diet plays a part in producing and releasing Serotonin!
Ironically, protein promotes alertness and carbohydrates creates a calming effect.

So if you need to calm yourself, reduce your protein intake and increase carbohydrates in your diet.
And if you need a "pick-me-up" or if you have depression, have more protein in your diet and less carbohydrates.



Here are other few natural ways to help boost Serotonin Production.

Light: When night-time is coming, your body tends to create lots of Melatonin. Melatonin is made from Serotonin. When melatonin levels increase, serotonin levels usually decrease, since more serotonin is converted to melatonin. On the other hand, exposure to light lowers melatonin levels and increases serotonin levels.

Nutrients: Please do note that certain nutrients actually helps to help manufacture more Serotonin. Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Omega-3, and many others. There are so many of it that it is best to omit from this entry. I recommend you to just buy those Multi-Vitamin pills - tata, everything is done! Note: I have updated the site's recommended items list - you can view them to see if you're interested in it or you can see the reviews so that you can buy the items somewhere else.

And here is one more very finding I found from my research: Artificial Sweeteners (like Saccharin, Splenda, etc.) actually makes your Serotonin production in your system to be very low due to a chemical that all Artificial Sweeteners have. So try to avoid taking them.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i dont know if thats my problem then... i live off turkey sandwiches, i love strawberry and banana yogurt/smoothies and eat them often......but does this sound like a panic attack then-
i cant stand being yelled at or direct corrective critisisum. all of it makes me cry everytime. even if the corective critisism isnt in a mean tone it still sends me into tears.......

any suggestions? my email is
kc_4bez@hotmail.com let me know

Seng said...

Hey there,

I doubt it sounds like a Panic Attack though. No symptoms can be observed.

I think it is more of a phobia or some sort.

With Regards,
Seng